Book Reviews: The Canary List

The Canary List: A NovelThe Canary List: A Novel by Sigmund Brouwer

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



What a story! This book raised a lot of emotions in me. Boredom being the first. Hope you're good in math, because my rating system took some time to figure out. In this review you get the good and the bad. Let's start with the bad...



I fell asleep three times in the first two pages. I have diagnosed myself with A.D.D. and this book confirms it. Some reviews say it is a fast paced book. Well, I'm on page 15 and I've seen turtles move faster than this book. I can just picture this story being told by one of those deep voiced religious guys on the radio who say about 5 words per minute. They talk so slow you just want to throw yourself out of your moving vehicle. Maybe it's too "sophisticated" for my understanding. If that's the case I'm glad to be immature!



I don't like how the author adds a story into a story. For example Jaimie is in Crocketts house when a man from social services comes looking for her when we are told what Crockett is supposed to do in a few hours with his son. An entire paragraph. Not unusual but it was random and a paragraph is not needed. Just say that he has to be with his son in a few hours and that's that. Short but to the point. No need to describe every detail he has planned especially when we are currently in the middle of dialogue about someone else.



I marked the rating with one star but give it 3 stars out of respect.



Now for the good...



Its a really good story, filled with lots of twists and turns, but the way it was written just made the book drag on forever. I swear I felt myself aging as I read it, but it is a good book. I love lawyer type stuff, so I forced myself to read further and I just had to skip sentences, paragraphs even entire chapters to hurry the story up. There is a lot going on in the book which lie I've said seen to drag the book forever, but overall a good book.



I have now rated it 5 stars but removed one star for the dull start and the dragnessness. (Not a word but it is now)



For a description of the book, read the description. Imagine that!



View all my reviews